Saturday, October 2, 2010

Truckin'....




A little over two years ago, I decided to get a dog to ride along with me in my semi-truck. I made this  decision,  because of a driver who was robbed and killed for $7.00.  That's right, seven dollars!  Having made a delivery in that same facility a day or so before, really had me thinking.

I got on Petfinder, and found "Jake", in the Frederick Maryland pound.  He was listed as a Pit Bull, but I have no idea what else his mix is.  I paid his "bail", and after a health check,  put him in the truck.  Poor Jake got car sick for a while, but he soon adapted to life on the road.

About a month later, I ran across a couple who had lost their jobs.   They were trying to find a home for a beautiful female American Pit Bull Terrier.  After hearing their story, I "adopted" their dog and renamed her "Dixie".  I didn't want two dogs on the truck, but would not part with either.  They have a home with me for life.

I have worked with both dogs extensively training them to be good ambassadors of the breed.  Jake and Dixie have been from coast to coast, and border to border.  They promote good will to all.  I really enjoy letting kids of all ages pet and make over them.  I laugh at some of the reactions,  and comments I hear after they find out they are Pit Bulls. 

Attached are two pictures.  One is of Jake driving the truck, and the other is of Dixie.

Leon Shade

3 comments:

  1. Truckin... got my chips cashed in. I sing this song every time I come to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a redhead pitbull & a black cat . My friend feeds & visits our cat at home- my husband & I are both drivers. I love the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a redhead pitbull & a black cat . My friend feeds & visits our cat at home- my husband & I are both drivers. I love the road!

    ReplyDelete